The May-Wilkirson House
This modest "Texas Style" home at 609 W. Oak, reportedly the oldest home in Denton, was built by O. K. Harry in 1878 as a "box house", that is vertical planks with no studs. It was purchased by H.E. May in 1885 and doubled in size for his growing family. It is clad in Cypress clapboard. Spacious porches, narrow two-light windows and 6" wide pine floors are characteristic of indigenous Texas Style Victorian cottages. The May family occupied the home from 1885 until 1979 when it was purchased by Linda Lavender and Mike Cochran, the current owners. Much of the original character of the home has been preserved.